Sunday 12 December 2021

My life is in danger



As at 11.09 pm while I was in bed sleeping, the leader of an NGO,Shettima Yerima called me with the  number 0803 3266468 on 11th of December  ,2021.


I was surprised  ,calling me at odd hours ,coupled with the sadness of that Saturday being the day my colleague who was killed in Abuja  ,Tordue Salem, was laid to rest in Benue State. 


After greetings, Shettima Yerima was asking me in a militaristic manner why I wrote a story that emanated from a press statement issued to journalists  by a group clamoring for an Igbo Presidency in 2023.


He claimed to be "insulted " in the report which was published in the on line platform of  Vanguard, the medium I represent,and also in other on line platforms.


My efforts to explain to Yerima Shettima that he has a right of reply, was not good enough as the NGO man spoke to me harshly   in a militaristic manner, concluding with a threat  to my life in Hausa ,which could simply mean my life is in danger if I continue with my reports. 


He was not happy that in spite of our seeming  friendly relationship, I went and published a report,presumably from his adversaries ,which does not go down well with him.

My attempt to let him know that in journalism, we publish reports from all sides so as to encourage fairness ,further provoked him to utter words that were frightening and made my night sorrowful. 


As a law abiding Nigerian ,I have no option than to write this in form of a petition. 

I hope action will be taken. 

My life is in danger because NGO's in present day Nigeria could possess enormous wealth to execute what they want.


Signed:

Ibrahim Hassan-Wuyo 

Vanguard Correspondent in Kaduna state 




I copy this to ;

The Commissioner of Police, Kaduna Command 


Director ,DSS Kaduna 

Samuel Aruwan, Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna 


Commandant  ,NSCDC Kaduna 


NUJ,Kaduna 

National Secretary  ,NUJ  National Hq,Abuja 

The Editor, Vanguard media Abuja 

The Sarki of  Hayin Banki-Kaduna 

The District Head of Kawo  Kaduna 

Barrister Abuul ,Kaduna 

Barrister Al- Ameen Dikko, Kaduna 

Forum of members of 33RC,NDA Kaduna 

The District Head of Wuyo  ,Bayo LGA ,Borno State 

The print and electronic media. 

No comments:

Post a Comment